Dr. Martin Toporek was born and raised in Charleston and has found his hometown a compatible match to support his interests in fishing, the environment, cultural events and patient care. He attended Porter Gaud High School and received his undergraduate degree, a Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, from the University of Georgia. He continued his studies at the Medical University of South Carolina, School of Dentistry where he received his doctorate and graduated with distinction receiving the Merit Award for Fixed Prosthodontics (crowns and bridges).
As a younger man, the study of dentistry proved the perfect answer to his career interest in both art and science. A gifted sculptor and painter, Dr. Martin enjoys the satisfaction in giving patients a lasting and beautiful smile. Tooth colored filling materials and advancements in porcelain techniques provide numerous options for Dr. Martin Toporek to help patients achieve their dental heath and aesthetic goals.
With a strong background in microbiology and having spent considerable time behind the microscope, Dr. Martin Toporek appreciates the necessity of giving staff and patients the cleanest and safest environment in which to work and receive dental care. West Ashley Dental Associates strictly follows or exceeds all OSHA guidelines and sterilization protocol. To assure their protection, patients can expect to see the maximum use of single use/disposable supplies.
Dr. Martin Toporek’s interest in patients extends beyond checking for cavities. His foremost desire is to understand the patient’s goals for their dental health. With this knowledge, combining the technical skills of dental architecture and engineering with an artist’s eye, he strives to give all patients the greatest freedom …. the ability to smile confidently!!!!
Education and Professional Experience
- Private Practice: Comprehensive treatment 2004-present
- Dental Education: D.M.D., Medical University of South Carolina (with distinction) 2004
- College Education: BS Microbiology, University of Georgia 1999
Honors and Memberships
- Dentsply Merit Award: For graduating with distinction in Prosthodontics and Implants 2004
- Volunteer of the year award: 2006 JCC (in recognition of outstanding commitment and leadership)
- Executive Association of Greater Charleston: Board member and member since 2006
- American Dental Association (since 2004)
- South Carolina Dental Association (since 2004)
- Diatech: Help test and try out new burs and dental products and contribute technical writings for their catalogs.
- Kurarary: Help test dental products and lecture.